Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Yay for me!

Wow!!! They are up on the wall, and they look great!


Yes, there is a story behind this blog post, but first, take a close up look at these beauties -



Probably about ten years ago, I found these lovely embroidered kitchen towels in an antique store. Oh, the handiwork somebody put into them! I thought to myself, "It's a little sad they probably sat in a drawer for a long time not being used, being "saved" for some special occasion that never came around". I bought them with the intent of framing them and being able to enjoy them myself. I kept stumbling onto them over the years, and would think, "Oh, I've got to get those finished." Then it wouldn't get done. Story of my life!

Finally, about a year ago, while in Ikea, I remembered to buy frames. About two months ago, I got around to painting them. Caution! Don't but paint at Joanne's. It's more like stain, and doesn't cover. Then you'll have to try painting over it, and get a result you're not very happy with.

Then, I had to mount the towels on something - hmmmm, how to do that? Inspiration sruck - use Steam a Seam (fusible web) and fuse them onto the cardboard backs of the frame. Brillant!

For the last two months, they've been living on my washer, staring accusingly at me each time I put a load of laundry in -- "Oh, when will you make our dreams come true and hang us on the wall? We're waiting so patiently..."

I went out to the shed last night (brrr, cold out there!) and found the hammer and nails, and hung those cuite-patootie pictures up. Hooray!! They look great!!! I think I will enjoy looking at them each time I put a load of wash in the washer - which is quite often!

Now, can someone help me find the time to do the same for all those unfinished quilting projects upstairs begging to be finished?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

!WOW! They look great! My mom had so many of those little hand towels that she and her sisters and my grandmother did. Wish I'd have known that you would be willing to keep them in your shed for 10 years. I'd have made sure you got them :) *laff*