Thursday, October 15, 2009

Utah!

Hey, we're back from the Mecca of Mormonism - THE PROMISED LAND - Utah! We took a quick trip to see Hubby's family, and a chance for hubby to recharge on that wonderful (cough-cough) Utah air. Rocky Mountain high, huh, John Denver? What about Rocky Mountain smog! Oh my goodness, I'm glad none of us has asthma, because it certainly would have been acting up!!

We didn't get to do everything we wanted to (I was hoping to see Kristina and her Snuggie riding the TRAX, or hanging out on Temple Square) but we actually DID get to do something I've been wanting to do for a long time - we visited the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers Museum. Pretty awesome, they have lots and lots of pioneer artifacts - I got to see a lock of the Prophet Joseph Smith's hair, among other things. Probably the most intriguing one was the wooden leg, and the story behind it. Let me say I'm just happy we have modern medical procedures!

We ate dinner with Brent's friend, Randy and his family. Brent and Randy have been friends since around sixth grade. Randy is now married and has a lovely wife, Robyn, and 3 and 7/9ths delightful sons. Our kids had fun playing together, and it was so nice to visit with adults! C'mom moms, you know what I mean!












After dinner, we drove to Mapleton, where Brent's family lives. On our way, we got to see the new Oquirrh Mountain temple - it's SO pretty! Saturday, Brent got up and went on a hike with his older brother, J, to the "Y" and farther - yes, he was sore the next day! I went to J's house and his wife T and daugher A and I made a fondant cake! Yes, thanks to an enrichment class a few months back (thanks again, Debra!), I was able to impress them with my cake decorating prowess!


That's my beautiful niece, A, holding the cake. She was good enough to bake it for us, and she helped decorate it, too. She also sacrificed her fingers to the food coloring, and ended up with colored fingers for a few days!

Sunday, we went to church - I got to see my cousin K and his wife S. I came home and crashed, which was oh, so good to take a nap, but oh, so sad, because S came over to visit (she's my mom-in-law's visiting teacher), and I missed seeing her.

The kids, mine and their cousins, had a grand time Sunday night, after the family dinner, banging away on Uncle D's drum set. I think I went outside for awhile while they were having fun...at least Uncle D made the kids wear earplugs!





We found out our kids love to play outside! Lexi absolutely loved the swings, and wanted to be pushed for hours on end, and Braden like the swings, but loved throwing the basketball through the hoop!

Monday, my husband took Braden and his cousin B, on a hike up Brent's favorite mountain - Maple mountain. I played with Alexia, got to read my book when she fell asleep for a nap, then played some more. We also met up with Brent's friends, S and A for dinner at Sonic. Yum! Their Jalapeno cheesburger is to die for! S and A are totally into geo-caching, and try to go all the time. Good for them, I say. I think everyone should have a hobby they enjoy.



Tuesday, we got up, packed, and got ready to go. Got to the airport with plenty of time - then, had to wait an extra hour for a flight delay. Yeah, travelling with kids and having flight delays don't really mix. But, we arrived OK to Portland, and to welcome, lovely rain. My nasal passages, hair and skin were so thankful!

I did see some weird Utah things - I only got a picture of one of them, though. I saw lots of women with Bump-it inspired hair styles. No joke. I tried looking really, really closely to see if it was a true Bump-it, or if it was a faux Bump-it (really teased and sprayed hair). Hard to tell. Is it just a Utah thing? Let me tell you, I did a double take each time I saw one...I could have given myself whiplash at church!

And, here's another interesting thing - I was passing a chapel meetinghouse. I happened to glance over, and saw this:



I thought to myself, "Only in Utah would this fly." I mean, people already think we're a peculiar people, can you imagine what type of myths/rumors would get started if all our meetinghouses had a bee hive on the front of it, facing the street? They might think we worship the honey bee or something.

Well, now I'm home, safe, bot I have a sore throat. I think I will end here, and go to bed. If you read this far, you're a trooper! Reward yourself with chocolate!

;-)

5 comments:

Laura said...

You are so funny! Your cake looks amazing!! Hope your sore throat gets feeling better!

Kristina P. said...

I wish in my Snuggie in my heart!

That cake is so cute!

Katie said...

Glad you had a fun trip...and your cake looks great! Hope you feel better soon.

ununiqueid said...

It was very good to spend time with you and your family. Thank you for coming to visit with us.

Rebecca said...

Can't believe we were in the same state at the same time and didn't know it :) Hope you feel better. Looks like the trip was a good one, C. Love ya -R