Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Quilt for Alexia

Well, this is a blog posting I've been meaning to get to for awhile. But, other blog ideas have come up, and it just hasn't been written until today. Now's the time!

My mom made a quilt for Lexi for her first birthday - Yes, I know Alexia's birthday was in January -- I told you, I'm a write-what's-going-on-now kind of blogger. Hmmm...maybe I should be a Twitterer instead of a blogger?

Anway, back on topic - here is a picture of the most beautiful quilt my mom did for my daughter, her "favorite" granddaughter (her only one...)


It's wildly colorful. Lovely!




You'll notice the "A" in zebra print in the picture on the left. That's for Alexia, of course, It's in the middle of the quilt, at the top, so she'll know which is the top of the quilt while making her bed, once she gets a big girl bed.

I think my mom saw this print (on the right) and used it as inspiration for the quilt. There are cute little animal blocks like this scattered in the quilt.


We took the quilt to a long-arm quilter I've not used before, but I'd seen her work on some of the quilts in my quilting group. She was very reasonably priced, and FAST! Love it!! She had about a million (kidding!) designs on her computer for us to pick from. Mom and I thought the quilt needed to be quilted in a more round pattern, since the quilt top itself is so linear, with all the squares and rectangles. Mom chose beautiful quilting of daisy flowers and vines. Pretty!

So, what do you think? Do you think Alexia likes it? I think she's going to have lovely dreams under this quilt made with love from her Nana.

6 comments:

Katie said...

I love Alexia's quilt...it's beautiful! Your mom did such a great job.

Laura said...

I LOVE it!! It's gorgeous!

Rebecca said...

WOW! I wanna be adopted by Nana :)
Beautiful...

Baller family said...

What a beautiful quilt!

MRNMSA said...

This is beautiful. I love the vivid colors. It looks so comfy too! She's going to love this blankie for years I bet! Beautiful!

Nancy said...

I see where you get your talent from!!!! What a beautiful fun quilt!!!!