Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter 2009


This will be an Easter to remember! We're breaking with Smith family tradition - and what I mean by we is that I'm the one breaking it.

Every year since we've been married, I have cooked lamb for Easter because Brent has requested it. It's a fond childhood memory for him. And, at dinner, for the last few years, we've talked about the symbolism of the lamb and asparagus we're eating with our son.

Well, not this year.

This year, we're having lasagna.

Not because I'm trying to spit on tradition, or passing up a teaching opportunty. There are a few reasons for the change this year:

  • One, I didn't buy a leg of lamb early this year, and I'm NOT going to Costco today. It will be an absolute zoo.
  • Two, I don't really like the taste of lamb, and until I can find that "perfect" recipe that hides or complements the taste, I'm not willing to slave in the kitchen cooking it!
  • Three, I've been having a serious lasagna craving for about two months now, and finally have an excuse to cook one.
  • Four, I'm just feeling lazy and overworked, and don't want to go through the hassle of a large dinner that will be eaten in 20 minutes, and requires many hours of prepwork and cleanup. Any other ladies out there agree with me?

Well, hopefully I'll be feeling more like tradition next year. But, you can be sure I'm going to enjoy every bite of that lasagna, green salad and strawberry shortcake we'll be eating tomorrow. And, yes, I'll be making the shorcakes from scratch, those are pretty easy!

And, I know Easter just isn't about the candy, the food, the easter bunny, eggs and chocolate. I am truly grateful for the ultimate sacrifice our Savior made for us -- for me --words cannot describe it. At least, words that come out of my mouth. Read below the Easter message issued by the First Presidency today, in recognition of the Easter Season:

At this Easter season of hope and renewal we testify of the glorious reality of the atonement and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. The empty tomb brought comforting assurance and provided the answer to the question of Job, “If a man die, shall he live again?” (Job 14:14).

Because of the Savior’s resurrection we will overcome death and become the beneficiaries of His mercy and grace. In a world of trouble and uncertainty, His peace fills our hearts and eases our minds. Jesus is in very deed “the way, the truth, and the life” (John 14:6).

We give our sure witness that Jesus is the Christ. Though He was crucified, He rose triumphant from the tomb to our everlasting blessing and benefit. To each member of the human family He stands as our Advocate, our Savior, and our Friend.

Ah, that's exactly what my heart is saying. Happy Easter to all.

6 comments:

Laura said...

Happy Easter to you too! It doesn't matter what the meal is as long as you are together. :-)

Nancy said...

I don't eat lamb, neither does my family. I bought a small ham (already sliced no less), we are having asparagus (just cause it's soo good), mashed potatoes and country gravy (gravy from a package) My little friend, the Pillsbury dough boy make our crescent rolls. I'm making carrot cake (just because it's good too) canned icing......
I enjoyed reading the message from the First Presidency, have a wonderful and new tradition for your Easter!!!! I'm with you sister!!!!!! ;-)

Rebecca said...

Happy Easter my dearest sister-friend :) I am so grateful for the atonement and give thanks to a loving Savior/Brother for giving up much to do this for us. Words cannot express the love I feel for both of them. How grateful I am for the knowledge that they live...

Lamb is what we always had for Easter growing up so I can relate to Brent. Joe and I are having grilled portabella burgers and home made french fries. Talk about lack of tradition!

We love you!!

Katie said...

Ehhh....lamb, shmamb....that's what I say. Just kidding...my family never really made lamb, so there's no attachment for me. I am a firm believer of making good, but easy meals for holidays. My other rule for holidays or when company comes....ALWAYS use paper plates. That makes for some easy clean up and way more time for fun.

Happy Easter!

MRNMSA said...

I hope you guys had a wonderful Easter! We didn't do an elaborate meal either. But the complete opposite-Mr. Hamburger Helper! Beef (actually turkey) Strogonaff! It was good and so easy! We still have the ham in the freezer-maybe we will eat it this Friday instead? Happy Easter Monday???! : ) -Rachael

Running Brent said...

Looks like noone will ever get to see my comments but you, because I'm always the last to leave them.

I enjoyed the Lasagna, it's great. I don't remember having a tradition of Asparagus, growing up, we just ate it ofte when it was in season, because it grew in our yard and ditches.

Maybe someday you can teach me how to put pictures on my blogs so I can make it more interesting than just words. I appreciate your testimoney and love of the savior. You have developed some really neat friendships online.

Poor Santa,
Poor Easter bummy.