Thursday, March 5, 2009

I had a busy week...

I can't believe it's been a week since I've blogged. I've been too busy, and now today I'm sick. After this post, I'm going to go take a nap.

Here we are (my bosses, other manager and hubby, and maintenence man and wife) last Thursday, at Bentley's Downtown - having our "Christmas" dinner! We never got around to it in December, because of the weather! Our dinners were excellent, the company was great, and I had an awesome time out with my co-workers and husband!

Saturday, we went to a pow-wow at the Indian School.
One of Brent's patients invited our family to the pow-wow. Too bad I was wrangling kids, a stroller, blankets, a purse and diaperbag and hungry kids (we fed them rice-crispy treats!), or I might have thought to pull the camera out and take pictures DURING the pow-wow, not just outside near the totem pole!

It was a neat experience, not exactly what I was expecting. I was impressed at how they honored their veterans. That was good to see.

I also got some quilting done this weekend!


This is a "mystery" quilt I am participating in. The quilt store tells you how much yardage of each value to buy (like light, medium, dark, contrast, etc), then you get clues each month, and construct a quilt piece by piece. There are six different materials in this quilt.

If you know me, you know this has been a stretch - which is good for me, I need to challenge myself. I like to try new things when I quilt, and I've never done a mystery quilt before. I usually like to know what a quilt is going to look like before I ever get it started.

I picked the colors for this one. I will post another picture when I get it done Then, maybe I'll get it quilted and use it for our bed! Our duvet doesn't cover Brent's feet - he'd like a nice, long quilt for our bed.

Oh, if you know me, you know I don't always follow the rules, either. I had to change one of the blocks on the quilt, and I love how it turned out!
This block was supposed to be all pink - the material I used for the borders on the block. Well, because I didn't think there was enough focus fabric, and because I didn't have enough of the pink fabric, I modified my block. I think it turned out nice! Notice how the border is put on around the block - around and around like a merry-go-round, not two small strips on one side, and two longer strips on the opposite strips. Sometimes it's the little things I enjoy the most about quilting.

This weekend we also has an awesome Stake Conference. And, what's even better - my husband and I got to go to the adult session together! Nice to spend time with him.

Well, Alexia is beginning to whine - sure sign she's tired. Time for that nap!

6 comments:

Heather said...

Hey I know that girl in the black and white shirt! ;)

Lovely quilt. What a fun idea, to do a mystery quilt.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Baller family said...

Looks like a fun get together with the clan. I always wanted to try Bentley's and we just never did. The pow wow sounds fun too. Love your quilt.....beautiful. You are very talented!

Anonymous said...

I dig the paisley. Way awesome.

Anonymous said...

The quilt is wonderful! Nice to see you out with the boss...good job Karma :)

Katie said...

Glad you had fun at dinner. Your quilt looks great. What a cool idea to do the mystery quilt.

Running Brent said...

Fun was had by me, too, I think we were just so awestruck at the awsomeness of the powow that we forgot to take a few snap-shots. Loved the little flutes we bought from there. I think I can play a pretty good scale.

It was very good to be able to sit with my wife on Saturday and Sunday Meetings of Conference!!