Monday, October 4, 2010

Squeee!

Finally, I can tell you about a project I've worked on recently!

Squiggly Twigs Designs
made a call out to some of her purchasers of previous patterns. She was looking for testers for upcoming patterns. I was able to get in on the testing for the Casey skirt. What an easy pattern to follow for making a few new skirts for Alexia!


This is the first skirt I finished, done exactly to the pattern instructions. This is all fabric I had already in my stash (great way to downsize my stash!) One thing that made this pattern so easy to make is it didn't require a "pattern". I was able to cut all the pieces out with my rotary cutter and ruler. That's a plus in my book. I really don't like cutting out patterns - give me a way to do it with speed!

Here's the second skirt I did. Now this one I challenged myself on. This skirt started out life as a size 6 long denim skirt (think early 90's) that a friend decided she didn't want any longer. I wanted to see if I could be creative and "upcycle" a piece of clothing into a useable skirt for my daughter.

I zig zagged the pieces together, (that's what the black lines are running down the skirt) and proceeded with the pattern instructions. Once I put it together, I realized it would have been cuter to use varigated thread instead of black - oh well. I still want to put another ruffle on it, but haven't gotten to it yet.

By the way, the only thing left from the original skirt was a zipper with about 2" of fabric on either side, the waistband, and about a 4" x 6" strip of fabric. Yay, I did it! :)

Anyway, if you have a little girl that you're lucky enough to sew for, I suggest visiting Squiggly Twigs Designs and take a look at her patterns. I bet you'll find something you like!

Oh, and Lexi had a death grip on that sippy. I couldn't get it away from her for anything. Ah, kids...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks. I'll post a link to this blog post on Wed.

Running Brent said...

Great Blog, Char!! Those Skirts turned out great, I'm glad we had a girl for you to dress up, I think Braden would have gotten tired of playing dress-up!! He He He! I'm lucky to be married to someone so talented!

Katie said...

Lexi's skirts are so darn cute!

MRNMSA said...

I love that skirt Charlene, you are so great at sewing!!!