Saturday, February 13, 2010

Down to the wire

The Lil Blue Boo and Dharma Trading Design Challenge ends February 15th!!

I took Friday off work, to have a day of rest and relaxation. Yeah, right. My competitive spirit kicked in, and I did some more sewing for my daughter.

I made a Valentine's dress for Sunday:



Since part of the contest is adding embellishments of some type, I was having a problem deciding what would work on this already "busy" material. Buttons to the rescue!


Would you believe this love-ly (ha-ha, valentine's humor) dress began life as a short sleeved tunic and pair of leggins, that cost me $5 at Walmart? Score!

On to my experimental dress-


One of the techniques taught was freezer paper stenciling. I found this cute "Mrs. Roboto" pattern on the Lil Blue Boo blog. I printed it onto freezer paper, cut it out, ironed it on the t-shirt, then proceeded to use acrylic paint mixed with textile medium to paint in the robot.

Well, while painting, I OOPS! dropped the brush outside the freezer paper, right on to the t-shirt. So, I had to splatter the rest of the shirt to hide that boo-boo.

When I pulled the freezer paper off, the paint had seeped into one of the robot's eyes, giving her two different sized eyes! Brent was the one to suggest putting buttons on for eyes to hide that mistake!



The skirt I added, just for fun, to mirror the skirt on my daughter's dress.


Cute! But notice I had to hold her down on the floor to get a decent picture - she just wanted to play hide and seek with the curtain when I let her stand up.

And, finally, my last (probably) entry - a $3 Mylie Cyrus T-shirt, converted into a nightgown:

I think I'm all embellished out - I'll just have to count those stars as embellishment.

Well, after Monday, head over to here to see the gallery of crafty, creative people, and their entries into the contest. As for me, I'll probably be returning to quilting, at least until my daughter grows out of all her new dresses!

4 comments:

Laura said...

You're doing such a great job! She has some super cute outfits!!

Rebecca said...

I need to come to town and have you sew for me...nice work, Charlen :)

Katie said...

I'm so impressed with how all of the dresses you've made have turned out. Lexi totally has one rockin' wardrobe!

Running Brent said...

I have a beautifully adorned Daughter. Someday, these dresses will be remembered as Great Great Grandma's home creations in the second Great Depression (hopefully they'll preserve some of Charlene's well designed handywork.)