Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Blessings...

Wow! I guess when you're doing all the things you're "supposed" to do, you receive blessings.

We were having our weekly Family Home Evening last night, with Brent giving a lesson. Our front and patio doors were open, since it had been a nice day, and it was warm in the house.

Suddenly, Brent stopped his lesson, and said, "Do you smell smoke?" I said no, but my allergies have been acting up. He ran outside, looking for fire - and he found it. Our next door neighbor's dryer vent was belching black smoke.

Brent ran to their door, opened it and told them they had a fire. I ran inside and got the fire extinguisher and the phone and called 9-1-1, legitimately this time, Alexia! Parents must provide good examples to follow, right?

Brent proceeded to use the extinguisher on the burning clothes inside the dryer, and when the fireman arrived, they drug the clothes outside, and squirted them with water, because some of them were still burning, and moved the dryer out of the house, checking the walls for fire. Then they had to use the big, powerful fan to vent the smoke.

Where I feel we were blessed was that Brent smelled it so quickly, before the laundry room was engulfed in flames, and that everyone got out safely. Our neighbor suffers from allergies, and she hadn't smelled the smoke, so she didn't know her dryer was on fire.

We are blessed when we do what we're told to do. Thank you, Heavenly Father!

6 comments:

cookiecrumbs said...

I am so greatful that the lord had you there to protect those people and that your family is safe and sound too.

Kristina P. said...

Oh my goodness! How scary! I am so glad that everything turned out OK.

Anonymous said...

Phew!

Baller family said...

Yikes! Glad everyone is safe is sound. What a blessing to have caught it so soon.

Rebecca said...

Yeah Fire Marshall Brent!!!! So glad all are safe :)

Laura said...

Wow! Glad everyone was safe!