Monday, February 23, 2009

Music!

OK, I'm a little disappointed that nobody except my mother knew the song "Otto Titsling." Hasn't everyone in the whole wide world seen the movie "Beaches"? Yes, it's from there (a very bawdy song, as my mum says) - google it if you don't believe me. Randy, I thought you'd get it at least!

Anyway, on to other music-related musings. Recently, I filled out one of those silly how-well-do-you-know-me surveys a friend sent me. This one had a little twist, though. You had to fill it out about your friend, then send it back. Well, I asked her to send it back to me, filled out about me. So far, so good...until I got the answers back.

One of the questions was: What is your favorite music. She answered for me: "I don't know...sacred?" Sacred??? What the heck???? Guess you don't know me all that well, after all!

So, here's my question to all my readers (yeah, like all three of you) - What's on your I-Pod? I'm so uncool, I don't even own an I-Pod. I have a MP3 player, which I'm extrememly happy with. It even has hot pink earphones, bought by me so they don't get used by the boys in my household! I'm slowly loading with music that makes me smile - an eclectic mix, I admit, but fun.

I have a lot of songs by the Eagles, Billy Joel, Queen, ABBA, Mika (thanks, Laura!), Coldplay, and a few single, other artists I'm not going to mention. I also have a wish list going, where I've listed lots of other songs I want to download, once I get around to starting that two week free test of Napster: Michael Buble, Clapton, Boyz II Men, Nickelback, Bryan Adams, and Aerosmith, to name a few.

So, here's my question for you - what type of music do you like? What's hot and exciting out there that I need to know about so I don't ever, ever, ever get mis-labeled again as an "sacred"-only music lover. Not that there's anything wrong with that....I guess.

Share what you have on your I-Pod. I would love to check it out!

And, if you know of any cool sites to download free music, legally, let me know! Or if you've had good luck with Napster or I-Tunes, let me know about that, too!

7 comments:

Running Brent said...

Um, I love Sacred Music.
I like Classical music, Rhythm and Blues, some country music is all right, and some rock. I don't like Rap much, but that isn't really considered a musical Genre, I don't think.

I like Bluegrass, and would love to play in a bluegrass band at some point in my life. I play fidle and fanticize over playing my mandolin.

True Celtic music is also kind of fun. I like Mariachi music as well. Yee Hah!! Andale. Brent.

Laura said...

The Killers. They are my favorite!!

My new addiction is Devotchka.

Laugh if you want, but I also LOVE George Michael and Ricky Martin. :-)

Laura said...

The Ting Tings are really fun too!

Anonymous said...

Ok, ready?
I listen to VIDEOGAME MUSIC. Like nerdy "oh that's world six-two" or "this was the best boss fight".

Also orchestra--Debussy is one of my favorites.

And selected rock music, Bjork, electronic music.

ununiqueid said...

Wow, you're entry called to me like a long lost friend! I did see Beaches...a few times I think. And yes, I did remember (and chuckle) when I read about Otto Titsling. (Thank goodness the idea was stolen by Brazierre!) :)

I do have an iPod (thanks to my friends at my last job before moving to Utah)...and I have many different musical tastes too. My interests range from country to rock to pop and yes...rap. I don't know where to begin recommendations...I like to listen to anything that has a good beat and good lyrics.

80's music is probably my favorite because it carries such wonderful memories. I like a lot of the newer country music because it sounds a LOT like the music we listened to in the early 80s on Kasey Kasem's top 40.

I recently bought mp3s (via iTunes) by Carrie Underwood, Bonnie Raitt, Bryan White, The Kinleys, Boston, and Jenny Jordan Frogley (LDS)...to name just a few. I like new and old stuff alike. I like listening to LDS artists like Jericho Road, Stephanie Smith, and Voice Male. Like I said, anything with a good beat and good lyrics!

I could go on forever, because this is one of my favorite subjects! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with such a wide range of musical interest.

Anonymous said...

Ummm...Charlen, looks like you have 5 readers, not 3 :)

My iPod id filled with old music from my youth. That's how long it's been since I downloaded anything.

Sorry that I failed you but here goes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqxWhBZXF8Q

Wendy Mayo said...

I love Buble', and of course, Sinatra. Guess I was born in the wrong era. I also like Brett Raymond. Love Broadway show tunes. One of my favorites is a show Stuart did called, "Once on this Island." I love just about anything Stuart plays on the piano - jazz, classical, and popular stuff. And, a road trip just isnt' a road trip without listening to a bit of .38 Special!

(Wow! Seven comments!)