Thursday, January 20, 2011

quilt...

One of my resolutions for this year is to finally work on all those UFO's I have in my sewing room - you know, UnFinished Objects?


Well, I guess for me when I make a resolution, I'm either tempted right away to break it or given an opportunity to keep that resolution right away!

One of Brent's co-workers is having a baby next month. They held a baby shower for her today at work.

Brent came home on Tuesday and told me about the shower. Oy! Luckily I had the blocks for this quilt already cut out and arranged in groups to sew. They just needed to be stitched together, sandwiched, quilted and bound. Not that much, really, right? (snort) I knew I had to get it finished Tuesday night because we had plans for Wednesday evening and I wouldn't have time to work on it then.


I had two and a half hours before scouts to work on it, then the evening after 8 pm to finish it.


I finished sewing the quilt top together by 5:45 pm, ran to buy a backing material, raced home to eat dinner, then jetted off to Scouts. I came home, sandwiched the batting between front and back, and quilted it quickly by running straight lines down the colored diagonals. Because of time crunch, I decided to do the cheater way of binding, and brought the back around to the front.


I learned a few things on this quilt. Number one, when using minkee fabric for the back, if you bring it to the front, remember to use the walking foot on your machine, otherwise the binding looks icky, and there are unwanted gathers and puckers (sorry, baby). I also learned to check the seams well before quilting the quilt, because I'm always going to have a least one seam that didn't catch both layers of fabric, and then I'll have a hole I'm going to have a hard time fixing once the quilt is all together.

All in all, I'm happy with how the quilt turned out. Could have been better with the binding, but I'm counting on the fact that the baby won't care, right? :) That's the fastest quilt I've ever put together - 5 1/2 hours all together.

Thanks to Brent for single parenting our kids while I sewed my heart out. Love ya, hon.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Love the quilt....it is beautiful!!

Running Brent said...

Love the quilt sweetie!!

Baller family said...

Charlene you make beautiful quilts! I love the one you made for Declan. We use it all the time. You are very talented. Hope you are all doing well! We miss you guys! Kabren was talking about Braden the other day.....

Heather said...

Ah the miracle of tight deadlines! Lovely quilt. I'm sure she was thrilled. :)